Happy Friday everyone, its officially December and the advent calendars have been opened with daily chocolates to enjoy in the morning and i am loving it so far, the best time of the year for me.
I have seen lots of posts on Instagram of people making mince pies and wanted to give it ago, i have never made them before and now i am into my baking i thought i would try them out, i slightly cheated though! ssshhhh don’t tell anyone.
This is all the ingredients i used to make them with a few photos along the way;
I am not great at pastry yet and thought i would buy the Jus-rol shortcrust pastry as i have seen other bloggers using this, i picked this up from morrison for £1.50 along with the mincemeat also £1.50.
You will also need 1 egg and some icing sugar to complete the recipe.
- I put the pastry in the microwave for 10 seconds as stated on the box to soften slightly for cutting, i use a round cutter for the base of the pie and a star cutter for the top as it looks more festive.
- I greased the baking tin i used to put my pastry in as i didn’t want it to stick, and then put a tablespoon of mincemeat filling in each pie, this sheet made roughly 7 but you could so more if you had a smaller baking tray.
- I lightly beat an egg in a cup and brushed it over the top of my mince pies before putting them in the oven to bake for 20 minutes on gas mark 7, i did check on them half way through as i am still getting used to the new oven.
- Once cooked i removed them from the oven and placed them on a wire rack to cool down before dusting over some icing sugar to give the finished look.
- These where delicious apparently, having being told by my family as i don’t like mince pies but they smelt lovely.
Here is the finished products my home made via (cheating pastry) mince pies.